How To Grow Microgreens
Microgreens are known to have multiple vitamins and minerals and are considered to bring vital benefits to your health. Different types of microgreens will give you different vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. But, in general, microgreens are a great source of vitamins A, E, C, and K, and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium, and zinc.
Growing Microgreens in Your Home Garden
Following are the microgreens which are readily available on our website for you to start with:
Sunflower seeds, spinach seeds, mustard seeds, flax seeds, fenugreek seeds, kasuri methi seeds, etc. All of these little greens can be easily grown at your home with minimal maintenance but will give the most health benefits. To grow microgreens following steps are to be followed:
1. Soil bed preparation
2. Sowing the seeds
Scatter seeds evenly on top of the soil. Press gently into the soil using your hand or the cardboard.
Cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil. Dampen the surface with a mister. If you prefer, you can skip this step and instead cover the container with a clear lid or plastic wrap until the seeds are sprouted. While waiting for sprouts to appear, usually within three to seven days, use the mister once or twice daily to keep the soil moist but not wet. Once seeds have sprouted, remove the cover (if you’ve used one) and continue to mist once or twice a day.
Microgreens are ready to harvest usually two to three weeks after sowing, making them a very quick crop. Harvest when you see the first set of real leaves. Once leaves appear, snip the microgreens just above the soil line. Serve immediately for the best flavor.
5. Sunlight requirement
Microgreens need about four hours daily of direct sunlight to thrive. In winter months, some may need even more. Leggy, pale greens are a sign of not enough sunlight. Light needs can also be satisfied with a grow light.
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space Greener!
- Gardening Calendar Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos of Gardening that might help you!
- Tips on planting homegrown plants and creating art with them as a beginner.
- How to preserve, plant, and grow flower seeds in monsoon, winter, and other seasons.
- Growing different vegetables, winter vegetables especially, and tips and tricks to preserve.
- Preserve fruits such as strawberries, Papaya, watermelon, muskmelon, etc.
- Know all about microgreens using examples such as microgreen spinach, microgreen sunflower, microgreen mustard, microgreen flax, etc.
- Using gardening tools such as pots, trays, growing bags, moss sticks, watering cans, etc.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Have a look on this Workshop on A to Z of Microgreens to learn the basics.
- Know more about Kitchen Gardening.
- Learn about the different types of Soil and their role in your garden.
- Watch our workshop on How to become a successful gardener.