How to reuse plastic bottles for plants as planter?
Plastic wastage is increasing inland and on sea surfaces making the environment harmful. It’s our responsibility to make this planet greener. So, it’s a great option to reuse plastic containers or bottles as planters. All you need to do is put a little effort into making something useful. In the article, we will guide you step by step and various ways to reuse plastic containers in your garden.
Steps to Reuse plastic containers
- Cut the bottle with the help of scissors from the middle, making it half.
- Both sides can be used as a planter.
- Make tiny holes in the bottom with the help of scissors for the drainage system.
- Color it using a paintbrush. Let it dry. Plastic tape can also be used for decoration.
- Add pebbles (optional).
- Add the potting mix to the planter. Or if using soil make sure to add organic fertilizer, composts, and vegetable peels or banana peels.
- Sow the seed or plant the sapling in the planter.
- Make sure to water it as per the requirements.
- Find a place for the planter or hang it on the wall.
What type of plants to grow in plastic bottle planters?
- Herbs can be easily planted in plastic planters. Hang the planters in the kitchen window or as per your choice.
- Make a vertical garden with green vegetables.
- To make the house more colorful, plant flowers and hang them, or can attach the planters to the wall.
- Succulents look beautiful in these small little plastic planters. Place the planters in your study or work table to give aesthetic vibes.
- Another way is to cut the bottle in half, take the bottom part and make tiny holes in the bottom. Sow the seeds and cover them with the top portion of the bottle. Let the seeds sprout. Then transplant them into large plastic container planters.
So, try these small house décor ideas to make the house more green and colorful.
Other uses of plastic bottles and containers in gardening
Water sprinklerMake holes in the cap of the bottle. Fill the bottle with water. And the sprinkler is ready. Water the seeds and plants with the help of this. Large plastic cans can also be used.
Lawn sprinklerMake many tiny holes on one side of the bottle. Attach it with the garden hose. Fill it with water. Due to the water pressure, the water will flow like a fountain.
Plant protectorCut the bottle. Use both the parts of the bottle to cover and protect your plant from heat, wind, and insects. Also, plastic bottles can be used to make a fence.
DecorationThe plastic bottles can be used to make bees, beetles, and other cute shapes to put in your garden for making it brighter, happy, and colorful. Gardening light can also be made with the plastic bottle by putting a bulb and coloring the bottle.
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space more Greener!
- Gardening Calender Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos on Gardening that might help you!
- Tips on planting homegrown plants and creating art with them as a beginner.
- How to preserve, plant, and grow flower seeds in monsoon, winter, and other seasons.
- Growing different vegetables, winter vegetables especially, and tips and tricks to preserve.
- Preserving fruits such as strawberries, Papaya, watermelon, muskmelon, etc.
- Know all about microgreens using examples such as microgreen spinach, microgreen sunflower, microgreen mustard, microgreen flax, etc.
- Using gardening tools such as pots, trays, growing bags, moss sticks, watering cans, etc.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Convert your green space into a small Miniature Garden.
- How to upcycle DIY’s for home decor
- Workshop on terrariums – adding Life to bottles and jars
- Workshop on quickly – quick planters.
Very helpful and good info though
Very good and best possible way to reuse plastics…..excellent!!!!
I am Jhon Verma from USA I have been seaching for such information since a very long time. thank you for sharing such information. I will definetly try it
This content have a lot of fabulous ideas. Thanks for sharing.
To be honest this is really good way to make use of plastic..
Tried it…..thanks for the tips