How to take care of your garden soil in India?
Garden soil plays an important role in growing plants. As soil helps in water retention and holds the necessary nutrients. The soil has many microorganisms that fix the nitrogen. But due to different climatic and topographical conditions, there are different types of soil present in different regions. So, this article will guide you to determine the soil type and how to take care of the soil.
How to test the type of Soil?
- Take ⅓ of tap water in a glass jar.
- In the jar of water, add a handful of garden soil, put a cover, and shake it thoroughly and continuously so the water blends with the soil properly.
- Keep it in a quiet place for 5-10 minutes until the particles settle down properly.
- The large elements are most likely to be sand particles. Measure the thickness of this first layer of settled particles with a scale.
- Leave the jar for another couple of hours.
- The smaller particles have formed another coating on top of the primary layer. These are silt particles. Measure the thickness of this layer as well.
- Again leave the jar aside for a night.
- The third layer that forms on top of the silt is clay particles.
- Clay particles are extremely fine particles. Above this layer, a thin layer of organic matter will be observed. Measure the thickness of the layer of clay particles.
- Now check which type of particles take up more area in the jar.
- This will help you to determine the type of soil you have in your garden.
How to take care of your garden soil?
- Add organic compost on regular basis. It improves the quality and the structure of soil, increases nutrients exchange faster, retains moisture, increase air and water movement in soil.
- Add grass clipping which will boost nitrogen level in soil. It will save fertilizer cost. This source is from the garden and to the garden.
- To take up nutrients more efficiently from soil add soil microbes like fungi or beneficial bacteria.
- You can also add Pine bark, composed leaves and gypsum to improve the compaction of soil.
- Add basic materials when soil becomes acidic like agricultural limestone.
- “Mool Mantra” to take care any type of garden soil is Mulching. You can use leaves, straw, compost, plastic sheet to mulch. this will retain the moisture and cools the soil.
Steps to remember
- pH level should be 6-7.
- At least 6inch of compost.
- Use peaty soil because it is rich in humus.
- Add organic manure.
“If you want a great return on investment from your garden you must take care of its soil”.
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space more Greener!
- Gardening Calender Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos of Gardening that might help you!
- Coir Coins and Coir Pots for germination of Seeds.
- Castor Cake Powder, Cow Dung Manure to provide extra nourishment to your plants.
- Gardening tools to help you in pruning, mulching of soil.
- How to use zip ties
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Convert your green space into small Miniature Garden.
- Know more about your Garden Soil.
- Know how to start your own small Garden.