Top 5 Fruits To Grow In Winter Season
Winter offers several conditions that can help plants thrive, including-Cooler temperatures, moisture, protection from pests, and longer growing seasons. We usually think of citrus as the only true winter fruit. These fruits are in season and remain so all winter long. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, and more will welcome the sunshine on grey winter days. If you want to grow your own fruits this winter, here are some suggestions, to begin with.
Oranges can be grown in winter in areas with warm climates. Plant the trees in a sunny location with well-draining soil. Provide regular watering, fertilize every few months, and protect the trees from frost. Harvest the oranges when they are fully mature and the skin turns bright orange.
Apples can be grown in winter in areas with mild climates. Choose a site with well-draining soil and full sun exposure. Plant the trees in a location protected from harsh winds. Prune the trees in winter to promote healthy growth, and fertilize every few months. Harvest the apples in late summer to early fall when they are firm and fully colored.
Pomegranates thrive in full sun and well-draining soil. Plant the tree in a location with good air circulation and water regularly. Fertilize every few months and protect the tree from frost. Harvest pomegranates when they are fully mature and the skin is red and shiny.
Strawberries are best grown in containers or raised beds in winter. They require fertile, well-draining soil with a pH of 6.0-6.5. Plant the strawberries in full sun and keep the soil consistently moist. Protect the plants from pests and diseases, and harvest the fruit when it is fully ripe.
Kiwis can be grown in areas with mild winters. They require well-draining soil and full sun exposure. Water the plants regularly, but avoid overwatering. Fertilize kiwi plants in the spring and summer, and provide support for the vines to climb.
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space Greener!
- Gardening Calendar Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos of Gardening that might help you!
- Tips on planting homegrown plants and creating art with them as a beginner.
- How to preserve, plant, and grow flower seeds in monsoon, winter, and other seasons.
- Growing different vegetables, winter vegetables especially, and tips and tricks to preserve.
- Preserving fruits such as strawberries, Papaya, watermelon, muskmelon, etc.
- Know all about microgreens using examples such as microgreen spinach, microgreen sunflower, microgreen mustard, microgreen flax, etc.
- Using gardening tools such as pots, trays, growing bags, moss sticks, watering cans, etc.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Grow your own Winter garden.
- Know more about Winter Vegetables and learn to grow them at your home.
- Watch our workshop on Winter flowers and flowering plants.