Top 5 Vegetable Plants to Grow in May
As summer is setting in the following plants are best to grow to make the most out of your summer.
Okra also known as lady finger or ochre is a warm-season vegetable. It is enriched with several vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. It needs exposure to full sun with fertile and well-drained soil which has neutral pH of 6.5 to 7.0. It is very convenient to grow and it is advised to mix aged manure or compost into the soil before planting it.
These are considered the hardest crop to grow, hence, are required to be planted in early May. The more sunlight they will receive the large bulbs they will produce and vice versa. To have them harvested by September it is the ideal time to grow and soil temperatures should continuously be above 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Onion seeds can directly be planted in garden soil.
Cucumbers are considered an ideal vegetable for summer times because of their mild, refreshing taste and high water content. It tends to sprout at a faster rate if it is growing in soil that is warm, moist and has a temperature above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. They love sun and water, hence, grow as quickly as they receive consistent warmth and watering.
Radishes can be grown as soon as 5 weeks from planting and are considered a good source of folate (folic acid), calcium, potassium, and dietary fiber. They don’t prefer scorching heat hence it is often advised to grow them in early May so that they can be harvested before the peak summer season. Its nutrients help in lowering high blood pressure and reducing the risks of heart disease.
Turnips are rich in antioxidant lutein and might help in preventing all sorts of cancer and improving eye health. It grows best in full sun when the temperature is between 40 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. It needs well-prepared, moist but well-drained soil and its roots grow rapidly it takes about six to ten weeks to grow them entirely depending on the climate conditions.
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space Greener!
- Gardening Calendar Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos of Gardening that might help you!
- Tips on planting homegrown plants and creating art with them as a beginner.
- How to preserve, plant, and grow flower seeds in monsoon, winter, and other seasons.
- Growing different vegetables, winter vegetables especially, and tips and tricks to preserve.
- Preserve fruits such as strawberries, Papaya, watermelon, muskmelon, etc.
- Know all about microgreens using examples such as microgreen spinach, microgreen sunflower, microgreen mustard, microgreen flax, etc.
- Using gardening tools such as pots, trays, growing bags, moss sticks, watering cans, etc.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Convert your home into a beautiful green Space.
- Know more about growing Winter vegetables.
- Learn More about the best flowering plants.