Watermelon is popular as a summer fruit, known for its sweetness and refreshing characteristic. It’s a nutrient-dense fruit, which is eaten raw, or as juice and dessert. So, start growing watermelon seeds in your garden by following these simple methods to get access to this low-maintenance fruit.
Steps to sow watermelon seeds:
- To germination watermelon seeds, take a seedling tray and fill it with coco peat.
- Make a 0.5-inch deep hole and put 2 seeds in the hole.
- Fill the hole with coco peat and spray some water.
- Once it starts growing 4-5 leaves transplant them in large containers or soil.
How long does watermelon seeds take to germinate?
It takes 7-14 days to germinate.
Sowing period of watermelon seeds:
November – February or March.
What is the water requirement to grow watermelon seeds?
- Water 4-6 times a week.
- Or water the plant 1-2litres per week.
- Reduce watering the plant once the fruits start growing.
- Avoid watering on the leaves.
- Make a good drainage system.
What is the best fertilizer for watermelon?
- Watermelons are great feeders.
- If you are planting them in pots or containers, give a potting mix before transplanting the sapling.
- If planting in soil, make sure to add vermicompost, seaweed fertilizer, cow dung, and vegetable peels or banana peels.
- The watermelon prefers loamy or sandy loam and well-drained soil.
- It prefers growing in soil pH between 6 to 6.8.
Temperature range to grow:
Melon seeds grow best in temperatures ranging from 20-35 degrees C.
How many hours of sunlight are required to grow watermelons?
It requires full sunlight, I.e, a minimum of 6hours of sunlight.
- If the tendril is green, wait for harvesting for a few days. If the tendril is half dead then it’s nearly ripe and if the tendril is dead then it may be overripe.
- Check the bottom, if it’s creamy or yellow-colored then it’s ripe but if the bottom is white then the melon is green.
- For up to 10 days the watermelon can be stored after harvesting without cutting.
Time to fruit/flower:
It takes 12 weeks/80days to mature.
Health benefits of eating watermelon:
- It consists of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B1, B5, and B6.
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Improves heart health and prevents cancer.
- Good for skin and hair.
- Helps in improving muscle sore or inflammation.