Top 10 Indoor Plants for Gardening in India
Searching for a different view, inside your home? Plants are a fabulous method for spicing up your environmental elements and add a dash of newness to your space. Other than elevating your home, plants likewise help to purify the air and make a blissful addition to your home.
Indoor plants are highly helpful to filter out the toxins from your home and are quite low-maintenance plants thus they are the best options.
1. Spider Plant
The spider plant has its name because its leaves dangle down and forms a structure like a spider web. Leaves are escorted with white and green striping. Spider plants eliminate xylene and formaldehyde from the air which improves the air quality.
How to take care of spider plant
- Watering – when the soil gets dry then water
- Sunlight – indirect or partial shade sunlight
- Temperature – 55 F to 80 F
2. Snake plant
The snake plant is known as the mother-in-law’s tongue because of its sword-like foliage with different shades of green. It is also known for its good looks as yellow cream stripe runs across the leaves making it more beautiful.
How to take care of snake plant
- Watering – when the soil gets dry, once to twice a week
- Sunlight – bright indirect sunlight
3. Monster Broken Heart Plant
A monster broken heart is known for its heart-shaped leaves which have holes in its leaf blades. It is an easy-to-grow houseplant with low maintenance. This vine is perfect for evergreen and colorful beauty for your balcony.
How to take care monster plant
- Watering – once a week
- Sunlight – 8-10 hours of direct to partial light in a day
- Feed – add vermicompost once in 10 days
4. Money Plant
Money plant is the most popular choice among indoor plants. It brings home good wealth, good luck, and fortune. it has large heart shape leaves with a shiny surface. You can plant different varieties of money plants as the black money plants or the marble money plant. It is a wonderful gift to give someone.
How to take care of money plant
- Watering – when the soil gets dry then only water
- Sunlight – bright indirect sunlight (moderate humidity)
5. Fittonia White Sampling
Fittonia white saplings are fast-growing plants and are easier to take care of. They bear deep green leaves with white accented veins which make them beautiful and unique.
How to take care
- Watering – twice a week
- Sunlight – indirect light or partial shade
- Plant height- 3-6 inches
6. Lucky Bamboo
Lucky bamboo attracts good luck and prosperity and its presence brightens up the mood. It’s considered auspicious in Feng Shui and Vaastu Shastra. It is a perfect gift for a houseplant. It generally grows up to 1-3 feet tall and needs moderate humidity.
How to take care of bamboo plant
- Watering – when the soil dries then only water
- Sunlight – bright indirect light
- Type – moderate humidity, place in a bright location with indoor temperature
7. Jade Plant
Jade plant leaves are green, fleshy, and oval in shape. It has thick stems. It needs moderate humidity and can be placed in a bright location with indoor temperature. You can add vermicompost for nutrients and Epsom salt for better blooming once a month.
How to take care of jade plant
- Watering – 2-3 times a week
- Sunlight – 6 hours of bright light
- Temperature – 65F to 75F
8. Aglaonema Lipstick Plant
Aglaonema is a highly decorative plant and perfect for your balcony. Aglaonema is also known as Chinese evergreen. These plants are low maintenance, attractive, varied, and are with colorful foliage.
How to take care of Aglaonema Lipstick plants
- Watering – when topsoil (1-2 inches) is dry
- Sunlight – bright indirect natural light
- Soil – well-drained and fertile
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a popular plant known for its health and cultural benefits. The leaves of aloe vera are green, thick, and fleshy. Many of our cosmetic products including lotion, beverages, and ointments for sunburn contain aloe vera. This plant is also used to decorate your house (indoors as well as outdoors).
How to take care of aloe vera
- Watering – when topsoil (3-4inch) is dry
- Sunlight – bright indirect light
- Soil – rich in organic content, well-drained
10. Golden Cypress Plant
Golden cypress plant has long thread-like foliage with bright golden-
green leaves. These are slow-growing and low-maintenance plants.
- Watering – water when the soil feels dry to touch
- Sunlight – morning sunlight is best otherwise indirect sunlight
- Soil – well drained and rich in organic matter
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space Greener!
- Gardening Calendar Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos of Gardening that might help you!
- Tips on planting homegrown plants and creating art with them as a beginner.
- How to preserve, plant, and grow flower seeds in monsoon, winter, and other seasons.
- Growing different vegetables, winter vegetables especially, and tips and tricks to preserve.
- Preserve fruits such as strawberries, Papaya, watermelon, muskmelon, etc.
- Know all about microgreens using examples such as microgreen spinach, microgreen sunflower, microgreen mustard, microgreen flax, etc.
- Using gardening tools such as pots, trays, growing bags, moss sticks, watering cans, etc.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Get a Guide on Foliage plants and create your garden.
- Learn about urban permaculture.
- learn about the different types of Soil and their role in your garden.
Indoor plants available at an affordable rate are nice to hear about. And I didn’t know that there were so many indoor plants suitable for our climatic conditions. It’s very informative, and I might end up buying a few plants after reading this.
I just moved in into my newly renovated house and was wondering how to decorate it. Never thought about indoor plants. Thank you for this cause now I have some ideas on hoe to decorate my home affordably.
This blog is very informative to me. I was looking for indoor plants in a lot of nurseries but only after reading this I have an idea about the indoor plants that I would want.