The Winter season is one of the best seasons for growing vegetables and it’s finally here! It’s not only good for people with finesse in the field, but also for beginners who want to or have just started gardening. Gardening also acts as a great physical exercise at a certain level. Buy vegetable seeds online at cheaper prices. In this blog, we will look at 5 easy to grow vegetable seeds in the month of October.
Beetroot one of the easy to grow vegetable seeds is commonly known as ‘beets’ in most parts of Canada and the United States. They were domesticated in the Middle East and continually used by Romans and Greeks. The purple roots of beetroot can be ingested after boiling or roasting or even raw. The leafy portion of the plant is also edible and can be eaten as a salad.
Growth and Care
- Beetroot can be grown well in many varieties of soil but loamy soil proves to be the best. The recommended pH of ths soil is 6.3 to 7.5. Make sure the soil is not too acidic.
- Beets do not require a lot of sunlight. They do well in less 4 hours of Sunlight per day. Keep the beets in a shady area.
- Water the beets whenever the soil is dry, once in 10-14 days. Beets do not require a lot of water.
- Best source of fiber, vitamin B9 and Vitamin C
- Improves blood flow and lowers sugar
2. Brinjal (Egg Plant)
Brinjal, also known as Egg Plant is easy to grow vegetable seed in the United States and Australia or aubergine in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Quebec are a purple spongy fruit native to India where it is most commonly found. It grows 40-150 cm long with leaves that are 5-10 cm broad.
Growth and Care:
- Egg Plants prefer sandy loamy soil, with pH ranging between 5.5-7.2. The soil should be organically rich, well drained and fertile.
- Eggplants love to grow in sunny areas. Place it on a site where it receives atleast 6 hours of daily sunlight.
- Eggplants need constant watering, do not ignore the plant. Water at least 1 inch per week. Water if the soil is dry, the soil should always have moisture in it.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
It is a leafy vegetable commonly used in Indian households for various dishes. It was domesticated in Europe in 1000 BC. However, after some time it had become an important part of European cuisines. It is now widely used as a vegetable and even salad in various parts of the world.
Growth and Care:
- Cabbage should be grown in soil that is rich in organic matter and well drained. The recommended pH level for the soil is 6.5-6.8. Use as much cow dung and vermicompost as you can.
- Requires 6-8 hours of daily sunlight to grow.
- Make sure you water the cabbage plants in regular intervals. They need at least 1-1.5 inches of water every week.
- It improves digestion.
- It helps in lowering blood sugar.
Radish is an edible root used as a vegetable that was domesticated in Asia before Roman times. They are mostly eaten raw as salads in numerous parts of the world for the health benefits that it provides, but some people also boil or cook them. Radishes grow quickly and are ready to consume just after a month of planting and thus also known as easy to grow vegetable seeds.
Growth and Care:
- Radish plants should be planted in sandy loamy soil which is organically rich. Maintain the soil pH between 5.5 to 6.8.
- Radish plants thrive only when provided full sunlight, make sure the plants get at least 6 hours of sunlight everyday.
- Radishes need around 1-1.5 inches of water per week to maintain its taste. If not watered properly, the radishes become bitter and woody.
- Rich in Calcium and Potassium.
- Good for kidneys and renal function.
Spinach is a leafy edible easy to grow vegetable seeds that are consumed raw or boiled as a salad or cooked as a vegetable. Its plant grows 30 cm tall. It originated in Ancient Persia and was later on introduced in India. Spinach is also mentioned in the first-ever known English Cookbook where it has been referred to as ‘spinnedge’.
Growth and Care:
- Spinach plants need organically rich soil, use compost and manure to provide the nutrients to the plant. The pH level of the soil should be maintained at 6.5 to 7.0 at all times for proper growth
- Spinach grows best in cold weather with partial shade. The plant requires 4 hours of Sunlight everyday.
- Water the plants twice a day. The plants need 1 inch of water every week. Do not over water the plants, water occasionally.
- Provides protein, iron and minerals
- Aids weight loss
Though these are 5 easy to grow vegetable seeds in October, following these extra tips can make your home gardening journey more comfortable for you and your organic veggies.
Some general tips
- Keep in sun: When about to grow vegetable seeds, most of them need a lot of sunlight to grow. Place the plants at a site where they get at least 8 hours of sun.
- Soil should be rich: The nutrition and enrichment that the soil is getting is necessary to grow vegetable seeds. Add compost and cow dung to increase the fertility of the soil.
- Use small pots initially: The biggest mistake that most people do when about to grow vegetable seeds is grow vegeatable seeds in big pots. Stick to small pots to grow the plant, as it gets bigger, change the pot.
- Get the blooms: Attract bugs, butterflies, and bees to your garden. To boost crop pollination, bring some insect-attracting plants to your gardens, like zinnias and sunflowers.
- Water properly: Water properly to grow vegetable seeds, as suggested, according to the plant.
Here are some other blogs that we suggest you read:
- Gardening Calender Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos of Gardening that might help you!
- Coir Coins and Coir Pots for germination of Seeds.
- Plants tag to identify the Seeds.
- Castor Cake Powder, Cow Dung Manure, Perlite, Epsom Salt, to provide extra nourishment to your plants.
- Neem Oil to avoid pest attack.
- Gardening tools to help you in prunning, mulching of soil.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Convert your green space into small Miniature Garden.
- Know more about how not to fail in container gardening.
- Know how to start your own small Garden.
Never knew it was this easy to start a vegetable garden, very helpful!!
Can’t wait to try this in coming October
I feel very motivated, it is my call to start a kitchen garden
Good quality read !