Madhavi Guttikonda: The Mad Gardener From Visakhapatnam
Madhavi is a regional gardener from Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh who loves gardening and sharing helpful tips online with her followers. She has an Instagram page “mad_gardener_” which has 172K followers and a YouTube channel “MAD GARDENER” which has 6.72 Lakh followers. She was even invited to Josh Talk and TEDX as a guest speaker. So, if you want to get your gardening journey started follow her for more insightful ideas.
Hard work pays off – Madhavi’s journey from a homemaker to a successful gardener
Madhavi is a homemaker turned YouTuber who enjoys learning new things in life. She started her YouTube channel in 2018 with the help of her son and daughter and after that, there was no looking back. Since childhood, she carried a love for plants which materialized after her marriage when she started growing ornamental flowers to decorate her home and pass her free time.
The shift from passion to full-time gardening came gradually to her, from ornamental plants she shifted to organic gardening when she saw the problem of pesticides in market-bought fruits and vegetables. Her family eats the vegetables grown in their garden for at least 4-5 days a week. Madhavi is a terrace gardener and grows a variety of leafy vegetables like spinach, sorrel, amaranth etc. She also grows fruits, spices, herbs, and other vegetables.
Madhavi also won the Rythu Nestham Award – 2021. It was presented to her by the Vice President for her immense contribution to spreading awareness about gardening.
Lessons from Madhavi’s terrace garden
- Madhavi encourages organic methods of gardening like fertilizing and pest control. She prepares and uses traditional organic pesticides like “Jeevamrutha”. She even follows Korean natural farming methods to control pests.
- According to her space should never be a constraint to fulfilling our gardening passion. She has even made a YouTube video to educate people about growing in limited space. She shows her terrace garden wherein she has used hanging pots and vertical gardening methods to properly utilize space.
- She collects and saves seeds in her seed bank and even distributes the same to her social media followers to encourage gardening.
- She grows all types of fruits and vegetables from seasonal to exotic ones. She also shares videos about growing them and taking care of them properly. Thus to learn more you can visit her YouTube channel where she posts long videos on the same.
Madhavi is a common homemaker who defied all odds to follow her passion and dream. She shares her troubles and hardships faced as a new YouTuber. She has been interviewed by many newspapers regional and national, and the most important thing she mentions is, YouTube was the platform that gave her independence and courage to move from a part-time gardener to a gardening influencer, it not only paved the way for fulfilling her dreams but also making it a huge success. She also mentions how she kept on upskilling herself to move with the trend.
Here are some other blogs which make your Green Space Greener!
- Gardening Calendar Blogs
- Sustainable Gifting Ideas
- Gardener Stories
- Garden Care Blogs
- Miniature Garden Decor
- Gardening Workshops
Have a look at some amazing Videos on Gardening that might help you!
- Tips on planting homegrown plants and creating art with them as a beginner.
- How to preserve, plant, and grow flower seeds in monsoon, winter, and other seasons.
- Growing different vegetables, winter vegetables especially, and tips and tricks to preserve.
- Preserving fruits such as strawberries, Papaya, watermelon, muskmelon, etc.
- Know all about microgreens using examples such as microgreen spinach, microgreen sunflower, microgreen mustard, microgreen flax, etc.
- Using gardening tools such as pots, trays, growing bags, moss sticks, watering cans, etc.
Here are some Workshops that might help you if you are new to Gardening!
- Learn how to Grow Plants in Water by watching our workshop.
- Watch our workshop on Growing Indoor Plants.
- Know more about on Growing Wild Greens.
- Workshop on Urban Permaculture.