How to grow cucumber seeds/ plants in India?
Cucumber seeds are easy to grow, which has a lot of nutritional value. It is served as salad, smoothie, cooked as a vegetable, and also it is used to make pickles. So, here is a guide to growing cucumber at home to get access all year round.
Steps to germinate cucumber seeds:
- For germinating cucumber seeds take a seedling tray and fill it with coco peat.
- Make a 0.5 inches deep hole and put 2-3 seeds in the hole.
- Fill the hole with coco peat and spray some water.
- After the seeds start germinating put them in a container or ground as per your choice. (Growing in a medium and slightly larger container can help you to get more cucumber). Be gentle while planting.
- Using the potting mix is beneficial because it contains nutrients and helps in pest control.
- But if growing in the soil make sure to add VermiCompost, neem cake powder, and seaweed fertilizer.
- Vegetable peels, banana peels, and tea compost can also be used.
- Give 25-50 mm of water per week (avoid watering the leaves).
- Provide water on the roots, not on the leaves.
Container to use for cucumber growth:
- Use containers that can hold 18.927 liters of soil.
- Hanging buckets can also be used for growing cucumbers.
Optional: Trellis can be used for support.
Seed germination time:
The seeds take 7-8 days to germinate.
- The soil pH must be from 5.5-7.0, which is slightly acidic to neutral.
- Light and sandy soil are mostly preferred by cucumber germination.
Temperature range to grow:
21-30 degrees C.
Full sunlight (at least 6-8hours).
Time to flower/fruit:
- It takes 9 weeks to germinate fully.
- Pluck them before it gets brown.
The freshly ripened cucumbers of your garden have many nutritional values-
- Contains antioxidants.
- Promotes hydration.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Lowers Blood sugar level.
- Consists Vitamin A, C, and K.