Sponge gourds as their name suggests have a soft cushiony interior. They are used to make koftas and curries. The peel of the gourd has medicinal value while the insides are ground to make vadhis.
Sponge Gourd Seeds in a Packet.
- Difficulty Level – Easy
- Flower color- Yellow
- Vine height –upto30 feet
- Fruit/Vegetable color–Olive or leafy green
- Type – Outdoor
- Feed – Vermicompost for nutrients every week, Seaweed, and Epsom salt once a month.
- Watering – Keep the potting medium moist (not soggy).
- Sunlight – Full sunlight
- Germination Time -2 weeks
- Time of Harvesting –12 weeks
- Suitable Temperature – 25°C -32°C
- Season – All seasons except peak winters.
HOW TO GROW
- Take a soil to a bigger-sized pot or grow bag and fill it with Potting Mix.
- Make ½ inch deep holes and put 1 seed in each hole.
- Fill the hole with Potting Mix and spray with water.
- Keep the potting soil moist (not soggy).
- Seeds will germinate within two weeks.
- Sow the seeds in a Seedling Tray filled with Cocopeat and replant it within a week after germination.
- If planting in the soil adds Neem Cake Powder, Vermicompost, and Seaweed.
Botanical Name: Luffa aegyptiaca